1944 
AND THE OSCAR GOES TO ...
____________________________________________________________________

Bette Davis in Mr SKEFFINGTON

" Despite the terrible writing, the role itself is really meaty but Bette fails to create it on screen."

★★★
Ingrid Bergman in GASLIGHT

" Her performance is not effective, she doesn't make the right choices in her way to act."


 Greer Garson in Mrs PARKINGTON

"[Greer] manages to bring some soul and life to her character, and it was not an easy thing to do."

★★

Claudette Colbert in SINCE YOU WENT AWAY

"[Claudette] is the heart and soul of the movie. She is superb and is hands down the best performance of the movie."

★★★

Barbara Stanwyck in DOUBLE INDEMNITY

"Barbara Stanwyck is the archetype of the femme fatal: seductive, manipulative, cold [and] plays wonderfully with all these sides."

★★★★


                                             THE CONCLUSION                                                

1944 is not the great year that I thought it would be. Barbara Stanwyck is hands down my winner, she gave the best performance, and she is in the best film. From good to bad, the other four are not really mesmerizing and they are not in memorable films.


                                   THE ACADEMY AWARDS and ME                                      



    NEXT YEAR: 1997

7 comments:

  1. I'm also happy for Barbara even though I'm sad that Ingrid got a rather low rating...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to see 2008 as your next year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ fritz: I am maybe a bit harsh on Bergman, I really enjoy the film but her performance was a bit too much for me! I need to see more of her work to see how she used to work, and see if it's just her acting style that I'm not fond of.

    @ movie film: Not right now for 2008, Because I don't want to review another performance of Meryl Streep so soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please do 1997 next! :) By the way I really like this blog of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Anonymous: Thanks a lot, 1997?? Why not. wait and see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stanwyck IS brilliant and should have won, but Bergman also gave an outstanding performance of its type. I always loved that Stanwyck said later she couldn't feel badly about it because she loved Bergman's acting and "my favorite actress won." Roger Keeling

    ReplyDelete